General Football

Rick

Re: General Football

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 am
Rick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:04 pm First England game ive watched in ages. Been a while since I've watched my team draw a blank. Think I'll stick to Leeds United.

Saw an interesting comment on't BBC. No matter what the situation is during a match, Southgate sets us up like we're protecting a 1 goal lead.
Said it many a time, we would have won trophies but for him.
Just tried to find his stats v nations ranked top 10 at the time of playing. All I can find is, as of December 2022, he'd won just 4 out of 24. This supports what many say, that the quality of the players gets him past the lesser teams. On a more even playing field where tactics are more likely to determine the outcome, he comes up massively short.

I guess managing Middlesbrough for 3 years wasn't quite the precursor to International competency as first thought.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 pm
Sid wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 am
Rick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:04 pm First England game ive watched in ages. Been a while since I've watched my team draw a blank. Think I'll stick to Leeds United.

Saw an interesting comment on't BBC. No matter what the situation is during a match, Southgate sets us up like we're protecting a 1 goal lead.
Said it many a time, we would have won trophies but for him.
Just tried to find his stats v nations ranked top 10 at the time of playing. All I can find is, as of December 2022, he'd won just 4 out of 24. This supports what many say, that the quality of the players gets him past the lesser teams. On a more even playing field where tactics are more likely to determine the outcome, he comes up massively short.

I guess managing Middlesbrough for 3 years wasn't quite the precursor to International competency as first thought.
IIRC he fielded one of the least prepared teams i’ve ever seen in some European final, they got the piss taken out of them. His tactics were to blame. He’s shit for England, would be a classic scum fuck up taking him. It would be glorious.
Last edited by Sid on Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:09 pm IIRC he fielded one of the least prepared teams i’ve ever seen in some European final, they got the piss taken out of them. His tactics were to blame. He’s shit for England, would be a classic scum fuck up taking hil. It would be glorious.
Aye I vaguely remember that Sid. Just done a bit of digging on Wikipedia and turns out that final was actually under Steve McClaren. Southgate came in the following season to replace Steve who got the England job. They went from Uefa cup final to relegated within 3 seasons under Southgate. He brought in plenty of players too (including a club record transfer) but they all turned out to be shit.

Basically he took an established albeit fairly avarage Prem team and turned them into absolute cannon fodder. They sacked him early into the season after relegation (though the fans wanted him gone much sooner) and he never got another job til England u21s offered him a gig 4 years later.
Rick

Post by Rick »

The stats are fucking horrendous. Only 11 teams have scored fewer than Southgate's Boro in the 2008/09 season. He has a worse Prem win percentage than Roy Keane. He ranks 100th out of 121 Prem managers who have managed 50+ games for PPG.

I always assumed he must've done ok(ish) at Boro. Nope. This guy is beyond wank.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm
Sid wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:09 pm IIRC he fielded one of the least prepared teams i’ve ever seen in some European final, they got the piss taken out of them. His tactics were to blame. He’s shit for England, would be a classic scum fuck up taking hil. It would be glorious.
Aye I vaguely remember that Sid. Just done a bit of digging on Wikipedia and turns out that final was actually under Steve McClaren. Southgate came in the following season to replace Steve who got the England job. They went from Uefa cup final to relegated within 3 seasons under Southgate. He brought in plenty of players too (including a club record transfer) but they all turned out to be shit.

Basically he took an established albeit fairly avarage Prem team and turned them into absolute cannon fodder. They sacked him early into the season after relegation (though the fans wanted him gone much sooner) and he never got another job til England u21s offered him a gig 4 years later.
Ah ok, Knew it was some fuckin useless england manager, forgot about that twat. Southgate is piss poor, made even worse with the talent he has at his disposal.
I have to be honest and say i get same vibes from Farke tbh.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Not a bad start to the day.
Titman

Post by Titman »

Rick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 pm Not a bad start to the day.
As much as we could have hoped for pal
Titman

Post by Titman »

As for the England debate you’re correct. It’s now 4 out of 26.
We’ll cruise through the group, maybe get past a top 10/15 team on pens and then shit it big time when we meet France, Spain or Portugal. Handbrake will come on massively.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Titman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 pm As for the England debate you’re correct. It’s now 4 out of 26.
We’ll cruise through the group, maybe get past a top 10/15 team on pens and then shit it big time when we meet France, Spain or Portugal. Handbrake will come on massively.
Getting to the point where i am getting to dislike Southgate on a par with that fake yank we had, it’s a shame as i’m sure he’s a nice enough bloke, problem is he’s clueless / backbone less. He like last couple of tournaments will cost us dearly.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Titman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 pm As for the England debate you’re correct. It’s now 4 out of 26.
Yep, nailed on.