General Football

Sid

Re: General Football

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:00 am
Sid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 am
Rick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:11 am Kalvin not having a great time at West Ham. Filmed sticking his finger up at fans. They think he's utter tripe. Had a quick glance at their forum cos I'm bored and they think the lad is either cursed or simply nothing without Bielsa.
I think it displays exactly how good Bielsa was, he had his system and drilled the players to fit that system. I can’t think of one player that managed to keep the Bielsa performance level after his departure. He really did turn sow’s ears into silk purses.
I think the second part of Kalvins issue is that he started to believe his own hype, became a bit of a billy big bollox, Truth is if you don’t put in the hard miles you won’t perform at the top level. Shame really
Absolutely, seeing state of Cooper Friday night makes ya wonder how it was even possible to take us top half of Prem with the shite Bielsa had to work with. Nothing short of a miracle worker.

Read a while back Phillips showed up overweight pre-season at Man City which sealed his fate. Also looking at ridiculous clobber he started wearing towards the end at Leeds also seems to suggest things got to his head a bit.

I don't think he is the sharpest tool in the box tbh. Lovely lad though. Bielsa saw he could pass and was strong in the challenge and had a role suited to him, laid every action on a plate for him, scripted him. Lad doesn't have the football nous needed at the very top imo. Though a very, very good player if mentored in the right way.
Agree, Bielsa would also have kept his feet on the floor, ( picking up litter etc) Started turning up in his flash pimp mobile and dressing like a right twat, proper billy big bollox. I doubt there is another manager out there who could get him producing like Bielsa did, Pep obviously couldn’t get a tune and looks line Moyes who is a completely different type of manager is also struggling.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Aye Sid, Bielsa changed the fortunes of so many. When he came Dallas was a back-up winger, Klich was in the reserves, Kalvin an ineffectual attacking midfielder, Bamford a failed Prem striker percieved as a luxury player before Bielsa signed him.

Bamford did a recent podcast where he said Bielsa would regularly tell his players exactly how teams would score against them and how games would play out, down to the minute details. He'd get it right evey time. Paddy said it was bizarre how he could know what was going to happen. Add to that his vision for what some players could be moulded into and it's incredible really.

We may have more successful managers in the future in terms of trophies but we'll never have a more insightful and knowledgeable one in my lifetime. I'm certain of that.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm Aye Sid, Bielsa changed the fortunes of so many. When he came Dallas was a back-up winger, Klich was in the reserves, Kalvin an ineffectual attacking midfielder, Bamford a failed Prem striker percieved as a luxury player before Bielsa signed him.

Bamford did a recent podcast where he said Bielsa would regularly tell his players exactly how teams would score against them and how games would play out, down to the minute details. He'd get it right evey time. Paddy said it was bizarre how he could know what was going to happen. Add to that his vision for what some players could be moulded into and it's incredible really.

We may have more successful managers in the future in terms of trophies but we'll never have a more insightful and knowledgeable one in my lifetime. I'm certain of that.
Yes saw that with Bamford, I’ve been lucky and seen out 3 best managers down the years. All 3 were out there in their own way. All meticulous in their preparations. Sir Don, Sgt Wilko and God. Lucky Lucky bastard me.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sadly Wilko's titles just before my time. I started going in 94.

There's a great documentary on youtube called Do You Want to Win, about Wilko's sucess here. Got pretty much all the key players giving their accounts. Great watch if you've not seen it yet Sid. It's fairly recent and production quality is top tier.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:05 pm Sadly Wilko's titles just before my time. I started going in 94.

There's a great documentary on youtube called Do You Want to Win, about Wilko's sucess here. Got pretty much all the key players giving their accounts. Great watch if you've not seen it yet Sid. It's fairly recent and production quality is top tier.
Will have a look, reckon it will be on frog tv ?🙃
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:46 pm
Rick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:05 pm Sadly Wilko's titles just before my time. I started going in 94.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0iKTNJ ... QgdG8gd2lu
Titman

Post by Titman »

Sid wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:46 pm

It’s on Amazon if you have that
Titman

Post by Titman »

Guardiola has long maintained that he cannot do with players what Bielsa could. Goes back to his Barca days.
Titman

Post by Titman »

Don’t get me wrong. Kalvin’s a nice lad and Bielsa found a niche or him but in May 2018 I’d have driven him to Reading for 2.5m. He was fucking awful before Bielsa got hold of him.
So does that say more about the player or the managers?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Titman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:49 pm Don’t get me wrong. Kalvin’s a nice lad and Bielsa found a niche or him but in May 2018 I’d have driven him to Reading for 2.5m. He was fucking awful before Bielsa got hold of him.
So does that say more about the player or the managers?
I remember wishing it was Kalv that was sold instead of Ronaldo Viera, and I wasn't even a fan of the latter.